Sunday, January 22, 2017

St Peters Park Run 17.58 - 6th.

Still warm but a more pleasant morning as I managed to get to Park Run St Peters in time with the Leech also fronting despite a couple of sick kids in tow.
The resident 'Geek' Chinese Professor Student was lining up as well (sub 17s) and when he and another 4 flew of I wasn't too concerned and was intent for the day just to work from Leechy Boy. First 1k is fast and I spot 3.22 on the watch with Eoin already a good 5 seconds ahead. 2ks comes at the top of the hill and I'm blowing hard but really try to work the downhill as to not lose that much time. Happy with a 3rd K sitting just over 3.30s and its normally here that it goes pear shaped. I had two guys come past me about 1.5ks in the race but somehow reel them back in at the 3.7k marker that keeps me focused at least throughout the tougher moments. Seemed to struggle once I pass them though and come the 4k marker I'm trying to do the sums in my head to see if I'm still on for the sub 18 mins that Ive been after for ages. You get the regular dog fight as you try to pass the slower runners on the 2nd lap but once you turn off for home it was time for one final kick down to get to the line. I stopped my watch with 17.59:56 so I knew it was close, and wondered what would come officially ? Very happy then when they posted a 17.58 that is my best in the short time I've been doing the Park Runs.
Said many times, its a tough course and I stand by Curly (Curl Curl) is at least 30 seconds faster so that bodes well for when I do decide to head NOTB.
Leech run strong - 17.35 for the day so a good 20 seconds ahead but I was never close to him at any stage after 500m

So happy with that and i think this NO booze may be helping?  I'll stay with it now until Mid Feb to see what a good 6 weeks can bring.


Sunday. Managed to convince the Taffy Lad Jimmy Matthews for a swim at PAP, Pretty easy set and knocked out a cruisy 1400m, Good effort from the Welsh Boyo especially as he's not been in the pool for at least 6 months.

In the footy, it was a case of oh so near with my 1-0 scoreline. Would have been spot on had the referee not found an extra 5 minutes of play from somewhere, What a Joke. To use my mate Aggers favourite quote 'We Woz Robbed'
Talking Sammy Agnew, I'm seriously worried for him and his team. The poor club is in tatters (must be bad when Sammy doesn't even talk about it) and relegation is a real concern. Looks like the Championship beckons for next August?
On the plus side at least he'll be allowed back into the 'Mediocre Cup Comp' with the lads Enda (Villa), Taffy (Cardiff) , Heyden (QPR), and Tommy H (Newcastle).... albeit in the lower tiers.


Leech at 1.2ks already a good 5 seconds ahead.
Bucket head and sandal man came past me soon after but luckily I was to put him back in his box at the 3.7k marker

Cheers

3 comments:

  1. Come on Timmy! you have to set your sights higher than 'Bucket head and sandal man', wait till Enda sees that photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come on Timmy! you have to set your sights higher than 'Bucket head and sandal man', wait till Enda sees that photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Master Sweeney, If you look closer you'll see IT IS Enda in his summertime get-up.

    ReplyDelete