Sunday, February 19, 2017

Husky Sprint Tri - 69.48

Down to the South Coast and the delights of the BIG Husky triathlon festival weekend for my first tri attempt of the season. Have been tipping along OK but was slightly worried about the bike leg although with only 20k to knock out I knew that alone wouldn't define the whole race.
Near prefect conditions and for once I was starting in the second wave that meant I was away early and providing I could get a decent swim it would see me on the bike without much traffic to get past.
The swim leg was a dream and got around the 750 metres without any drama and stood up out the water in under 13 minutes. Its the longest transition in history up the steps and out into the road where the bikes were racked and once I'd got the 'c0ck head (helmet) on I was away. Basically its an out and back 20ks but I forgot about the rolling hills that sees you hitting close on 50k per/hr on some parts then struggle to hit 30 on others. Back into town feeling good and was happy with T2 before heading out on the path that hogs the coastline for the 5k run. Ticked along at 3.47 pace to the turnaround and then got a shock as 'Super Kev' gave a call out and was only about 50m behind. Was holding the pace but really expected the talented Irishman to come past at any moment. Tried to stay focused and lifted one final time with about 850 to go but not before I saw Pete Walker and 'Kenny flying along as well.
Its a great finish and I'm stoked to cross the line with a 19.23 minute run without Kevo catching me and see a finishing time of 69.48 for 39th overall and 4th in the A/G
Pretty happy with that for the first race and will now give me something to work with as I head to Wollongong in a fortnights time for the further Olympic distance (1.5/40k/10k)
Some great results from some of the other HuRTS guys that were racing, The pick of them was 'Kenny with a 65 minute finish, Super Kev not far behind on 66, Pete Walker 68 and 'Mrs Kenny (Renee) with a solid 74 although it wasn't enough to prevent Enda losing another $20 to me after he backed her with a 4 minute buffer.
Full results here;
http://www.multisportaustralia.com.au/Home/Results

Had a cracker of an afternoon in the famous Husky boozer, with some of my clients before Enda made his customary appearance about 9pm when everyone was well oiled, but even then I couldn't get my $20 out of him - Shameful.

Some pics from the day.

Husky at dawn before the race.
Out on the bike leg.
Two down and out on the run it is.
Last 200m and just holding 'Super Kev' to the line.
And then celebrating with him.
Along with 'Kenny' and Pete Walker.
Well earned beers in the Husky Pub post race.
It was getting late but Enda finally made a guest appearance, but still forgot his $20


Cheers








No comments:

Post a Comment