Sunday, April 30, 2017

Curl Curl Ocean Swim 2k - 41.23

Sunday. Up and out early again and over to the 'Dark Side' and for once it wasn't for social drinks but Curl Curl was to play host to the end of season ocean swim.
Face dropped a mile upon arriving and looking out from the surf club on the conditions with incoming waves reported at 1.8 metres that I knew I'd struggle in. Gun goes off and true to form its a battle from the start, nearly killed me even getting to the first buoy and I swear the arm was nearly up for the surf boat for collection at one point. Sadly it never seemed to get any easier and when I got around the 3rd buoy and saw I had only completed 575m I nearly cried. I knew no records were going to get broken so I just got through it best I could and it was only after coming around the 9th and final buoy did I ever feel comfortable.
Got to the final 100m and was nearing the point to stand up and felt I was actually going backwards - crazy. In the end I decided to stand and wade out  before eventually running the final 50 metres of the beach to stop the clock in 41.23
Absolutely spent at the end of it and without doubt the hardest ocean swim that I've put myself through. Finally recovered for the pleasant walk back to surf club where the sausage sizzle and 6 beers went down a treat as I sat overlooking the crashing waves still rolling in.
Gave the Chairman Tommy H a bell to see if he was around for Manly arvo beers, but after he snubbed me I returned to the safety of the East to continue the Sunday social.

Monday. Lined up Crossy Lad for a PAP swim and after the rigours of yesterday it was great to be back in the calmer waters of the pool. That said I had to endure Crossy crying about his sore shoulders and the fact he only got a 4th place in some 'D Grade' Oatley 5k run on the weekend (beaten by 3 teenagers as well).
Decent set completed that included 400, 200, 100 and 50 metre efforts to cover the 2ks
Nice surprise into the set to be joined by Pete Walker for a few efforts as well.

Will be back out tomorrow for some 1k efforts with the team

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment