Monday, April 3, 2017

Striders 10k Lane Cove - 39.05

Over to the home of the Striders 10k series that is Lane Cove and warmed up along with Birchy and Stevie Perry, A strong showing from the team though with the likes of Barts, Scotty O, Hamish and the regular NOTB boys lurking around.
Knew I wasn't in shape for this one so was keen to go out easier than normal in the hope I might be able to bring it home over the latter stages of the race.
A 3.42 to kick it off that was about right but even before the first climb at 2.5ks I felt the pace dropping that was a concern. First hill out the way and about 3ks I had the 2nd girl and Keith' Buzz' come past that had me trying hard to join but sadly was unable.  The big test comes at 4.5k and lasts till the turnaround at 5.5k, really struggled to even make it without doing the dreaded 'walk of shame' and once on the downhill I had a chance to see where all those behind me were and in particular Pete Walker who I knew would be out to beat me.
Tried to lift on the downhill but it wasn't much and when those little pinch hills come into play around the 7 and 8k marker I was toast. Had two lads come past at 8.5ks and very soon after Pete Walker does the same. Now I know I was goneski at this point but something triggered me to go with the 3 of them in the hope I could just stay for one more Km knowing (and hoping) I could out kick Pete at least over the final 500 metres.
A lot of talking took place for the next 3 minutes (first sign of madness many say) and with 400m to go I was still with them and decided to kick for home. It hurt, but that's what its supposed to feel like at that stage and despite a very disappointing time of 39.05 for the morning at least I had a 'minor win' over the sprint finish event.
Terrible race overall for me, but in truth its little more than I deserve as my training has been less than ordinary of late
Looking across the board, nobody really impressed. Barts got beat by Neil, Scotty was over a minute down on his usual, Birchy was ordinary and was forced into a walk break. I suppose Stevie P was about the best of the bunch and was certainly good enough to take me and cover the 2 minute agreed handicap. Fair play to him.
My watch was all over the shop this morning but the splits I had were.
3.42, 3.50,4.10, 3.57, 4.21, 3.56, 3.58, 3.55, 4.02, 3.32

If the morning was shocking then the evening was a cracker, Had the invite to the famous NOTB Curry night, massive team ventured to Freshwater for the night. Great to catch up and even if the food was the usual mush that is dished up over that part of town the beers, banter and dancing was worth the trip in itself.

Canberra this week and I'm dreading it, I can barely get through 10ks so a half is going to kill me, Still, it is what it is.

In the footy, I missed the Timmy's Tip on the weekend but in truth I would have gone the draw, (and we lost 2-0) Can make amends with a midweek round and Stoke travel to Burnley and I've got a special.
Timmy's Tip - Burnley 0 v Stoke 1
Also back home, Slim Sammy Aggers is starting to give it 'large ones' - unbelievable that lad. Zilch from him all year, then a couple of wins and he comes out the woodwork, very fickle fans.
Still, I'm not changing in my belief they will be get relegated along with Sunderland, Middlesboro
Stay tuned for more ..... more tears from Aggers that is.

Few photos from Saturday
You can tell when its a bad race with all the poncing and waving around.

Barts, Scotty and Vonk


NOTB boys with Stevie P and I.
Elle, great value on a night out.

 The Manc Lads - Birchy and Gleeso.
The footy tipping team, Gleeso, Craig, Birch, Taffy James and new man Darren Jordan

Lets hope Darren is a better tipster than dancer?


HuRTS females #1 Erika and Elle

Getting late

A night at the Opera House followed on Sunday and caught up with the Irish Mafia

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment