Thursday, July 20, 2017

Double Day Friday - Bike & Swim

Cycled over to the park and with all the verbal Trash Talk what's been going on between some I was keen to back up from last Friday's first session and try to rack up a few more Ks. Cruised around for a few laps before deciding to test myself with a couple of 'Hot Laps' (fast single loops 3.7k). Didn't look at the watch once but with the high winds on what is usually the faster parts slowing things down I knew I'd be doing well to get anywhere close to a 6 minute lap. Delighted then to get back around to the flag poles and stop the clock dead on 6.00 A loop easy then basically repeated, only this time I knew I was slower at the start that would ultimately cost me time but was reasonably happy to stick down 6.04 for the tough effort.
Long way to go and lots of work to do on the bike, I remember being able to do single laps in and around the 5.30-5.40 mark at one time but hopefully I'll get my bike fitness back especially once the warmer months return as I do like the cycling.
Returned home via the coffee house as 48ks ticked over and in truth the legs were pretty much cooked and I reckon a 50k cycle would be my limit at the present time.

With the promise of an indoor swim I was able to coax Crossy Lad out to join me at Ian Thorpe Pool at lunch for what was supposed to be an easy/recovery swim. Nice to see Pete Walker, Champ, Laura and Sonya also in attendance and after giving Crossy the set we were off. Bloody Hell, as early as the first 200 rep I was in strife as I was struggling to hold 1.45s per/100m. Forced to get the hand paddles out I was still in the hurt locker with my fastest of the day done in 3.21
Just about got through them and with Crossy finding it very amusing I was then demoted over to the 'medium' pace lane to join Laura to get my cool down done to bring up the 2ks for the day.
Jesus, that hurt and my swimming has suffered over the past 6 weeks or so. Still that's what happens when you only swim one session a week easy I suppose so can't grumble.

Crossy with his trusty camera, Laura and Champ. you can tell its the end as we are smiling, I wasn't that happy whilst doing the 200m reps.

Going to try for another quiet weekend, Sutho to Surf is Sunday so I may head to the Shire (again) for an 11k hit out, a race that I always used to use as a good lead up race 3 weeks out from City to Surf.

Have a great weekend.
Train/Race well
Stay safe
Cheers



No comments:

Post a Comment