Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Gold Coast Half Marathon 84.45

A mid afternoon flight to the Goldie with mate Taffy James arriving just in time to see the Lions spank the A.Bs and once that was in the bag I knew I was in for a weekend that would remain long in the memory banks for years to come.
Early start on the Sunday with the gun going off at 6am and after a panic that we'd not drop the bags in time (when isn't it with the Taffy lads) I was on the start line beside Jeet and Brucie Lambert with Erika not looking that confident just over my left shoulder. A week of sickness prior meant I needed to rethink race plans so took it out easier and was therefore surprised when Erika hadn't gone past me by the 5k stage of the race? I just tried to sit on a comfortable 4 min/ks to that point and did so until I started to feel the pace as early as 8k then it all started to get tough. You get some bigger support around the 10k before the turnaround that also gives you the opportunity to see those ahead as well as those close behind and I got a shock when I saw Taffy2 - Craig only about 30 seconds down on me.
The wheels were fast coming off from about 12k mark as the pace dropped to 4.07s so it was no surprise then when Craig went past looking strong around the 15k stage. Gone for all money when my 'Knights in Shining armour' appeared in HuRTS #1 & #2 Scotty O'Connor and Barts who were not taking NO as an answer in helping get me to the line. My protests fell on death ears and once I got my head cleared I was back moving at under 4 min/ks. The boys were both so positive as we got closer to the finishing line. One Kilometre to go and Barts boomed out to kick it down again and with his words '20k into the run Timmy, its not meant to be easy' still ringing we were fast going past people that had dropped me some 3ks back.
Its a great finish this race as you hit the grandstands on the swirly road home and I'm happy to see it out as I look at the clock in 84.45 when all appeared lost before half way.
Km splits were;
3.42, 3.52, 3.56, 3.53, 3.56, 3.57, 3.55, 4.00, 3.58, 4.01, 3.59, 3.59, 4.02, 4.03, 4.07, 4.04, 4.03, 3.59, 3.57, 3.57, 3.50, 3.25(200m)
84.45 ave 3.59s

Many thanks to the boys in helping out, I was struggling till that point but it does prove to me more than ever how much running takes place in the head as with them I was able to find some form later in the race.

As always in the Goldie it never fails to produce some fast times and plenty of Pb's along the way, Started well with the top lads blasting out the 10ks on Saturday and continued in the Half and Full distances. Leech put Marko to the sword with a 2.45 I believe (?) with the younger Branagan struggling to find anything over the final 10k
In the half, special mention to Jeet, Angus, Brucie and Jac on all fine runs but my 'Timmy Run of the Day' must go to my old client and student 'Taffy Craig Boyo who not only beat me but recorded a PB of over 5 minutes - Great effort that.

Enjoyed watching the marathon boys after come through at the 32k marker before heading for coffee and brekkie nearby with Laura, Jac, Barts, Taff Boys, and Birchy before it was all ON for the afternoon Birthday celebrations.


Down to Southport Surf Club where I was met with a big gang and packed pub out to watch a boxing match. Beers flowed as easily as the banter with everyone in fine form following a successful run morning. Must have stayed for about 5 hrs before the stagger out and onto the 'infamous' Waxy's dodgy bar for a fun filled night. At $3 bottles of Coronas there was only ever going to be one outcome and again we were on the money. Glasses toasted, dance floor hopping, Dazza Jordan taking on the local Goldie Gangster, Jeet showing the ladies how to throw shapes on the dance floor and even C.T seeing out his 6.45pm curfew made for a cracker of a night.
Come midnight and once Laura had been carried out by Jac, it was left to Leech, C.T, Birchy, Craig, and I  to see the night out as Leech got me another pint that just about tipped me over the edge before I called it quits with a 2am kebab.
Brilliant night all around and would like to thank everyone who ventured out making huge efforts on my behalf to make it one we wont forget - Cheers

A few pics from a top weekend.




3 of HuRTS best, Jac, Laura and Erika.
Great runs from Bruce and Gus in the Half.
As Ben and Eoin in the Full.
Fastest of the Day - talented Nicky Roberts, with Neil and Lizzy (nice dress Liz :)  )
Bonkers these two - Taffy Boyos - Jimmy and Craig.
With Craig, Birchy and the 'Best' Sledger in the business 'Hardman' J.C.
Its getting late, Jeet, Jac, Nicky R and Lizzy.
Two of the best runners and social heads , Darren and Laura James
Irelands #1 Leech and I , getting late.
Jeet #1 on the Dance floor.
Good mates who are never far away on the socials or if you ever need help with anything - Jac and Paul Birch.

Cheers















1 comment: